Week 9 of the Reddit baking challenge was Latin America and any recipe we decided, so after looking at tons of recipes, I decided to do Arroz con Leche, with translates to rice with milk, which is a sweet rice pudding. Most of the recipes I found used raisins, and I’m not a huge fan of raisins, so after a conversation with a co-worker, I decided to go a pina colada route. Instead of raisins soaked in rum, I would use rum soaked, dried pineapple and for the milk, I would substitute coconut milk. The end result, topped with some like zest, ended up being pretty delicious. I found this recipe is better served warm and if needed, can be warmed up in the microwave the next day for 30 seconds or so. Because I have never made sweet rice, I used this recipe as a guide.
- 4 ounces dried pineapple chopped
- 2.6 ounces dark rum
- 1/2 cup of white rice
- 1 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 13.5 ounce can of coconut cream
- 4 ounces pineapple juice
- 4 ounces of water
- 4 ounces crushed pineapple
- 5.3 ounces granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of one lime
- Zest of one lime
- Put dried pineapple in a bowl and pour in dark rum. Let sit overnight for the rum to soak into the pineapple.
- In a medium pan, combine the rice, can of coconut milk, pineapple juice, water and salt and cook over medium heat until liquid is boiling.
- Once boiling, cover and simmer, stirring frequently to avoid the rice from sticking until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add in the sugar and coconut cream and continue to cook on low, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes, or until mixture is thickened.
- Add in the pineapple and whatever rum is leftover, and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the lime juice and zest.
- Allow to cool a bit and enjoy!