2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup hot water
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons Crisco shortening
1/2 tablespoon table salt
5 cups all purpose flour (more or less depending on moisture in the air)
1/4 cup softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup cream cheese (I used whipped cream cheese)
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons milk (I used unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons softened butter
- Mix yeast and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar into 1/2 cup warm water and let it sit.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer add Crisco, salt, remaining sugar and hot water and beat until combined.
- Add half of to flour and continue to mix until combined.
- Add beaten eggs and yeast mix and beat until mixed.
- Add remaining flour until combined.
- Change to dough hook and knead the dough.
- Dough should come together into ball on the dough hook, if dough is still too sticky, add flour by tablespoon until dough comes together
- Turn dough out on lightly floured counter and knead for 5 minutes
- Put kneaded dough in a greased glass bowl and cover with cling wrap until dough doubles in size
- Turn dough out on lightly floured counter and stretch dough out to a 14×24 inch rectangle
- Using a silicone brush, brush butter all over the dough, leaving about 1/2 border on all sides
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl until completely mixed
- Use your hands to sprinkle sugar and cinnamon mix on top of butter
- Start rolling the dough, starting with the long side, trying to keep as tight as possible
- With the seam facing down on the counter, take a piece of unflavored dental floss and put it under the roll and use the floss to cut round cinnamon rolls
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet or pie plate and let them rise until the double in size
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and bake the rolls for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Mix together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract to make the frosting and frost the cinnamon rolls