Making homemade vanilla is super easy, and more economical than buying pure vanilla extract from the store. All you need is a bottle with a tight lid, vodka and vanilla beans. That’s it, super simple to make and will add amazing flavor to any baked good. The most difficult thing about this recipe is the minimum of 8 weeks you need to wait for it to be ready!! The longer you can let it sit, the more strong the flavor! In the image above, I used 20 ounces of vodka and 10 vanilla beans.
- Vodka, 8 ounces for every 4 vanilla beans
- Vanilla beans, minimum of 4
- Pour vodka into bottle using a funnel.
- Slice vanilla beans length wise with a sharp knife.
- Check to verify the vodka will completely cover the vanilla beans, otherwise, cut them in half to make sure they are fully submerged.
- Put vanilla beans in bottle, close the lid and shake. Shake bottle every day or two.
- Patiently wait a minimum of 8 weeks to use the vanilla extract.