This original devil dog (aka whoopie pie) recipe came from my grandma, who used to always make them for my grandpa. He loved anything chocolate and these were one of his favorites. The original recipe is a marshmallow fluff filling sandwiched in between two delicious chocolate cakes. Since I have received the recipe, I have made two different versions from the original recipe. My favorite is a peanut butter and marshmallow (fluffernutter) filling and the newest is a grasshopper version, which has a minty marshmallow filling.
The recipe below is for the original flavor, with flavor modifications at the end.
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup milk (I use almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (240g) cups all purpose flour
1/2 (40g) cup Dutched cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cups powdered sugar
3.5 ounces marshmallow fluff
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk (I use almond milk)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Cream the granulated sugar and vegetable shortening.
- When sugar and shortening is light and fluffy, add in the egg to combine and then add the milk and vanilla and mix for another minute or so until all combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth and combined.
- Use a portion scoop of preferred size and drop on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes on the middle rack.
- Take out of oven and cool.
- Continue baking process until all batter is used.
- To make the filling, add the shortening, powdered sugar, marshmallow fluff, milk and vanilla to mixer and cream until light and fluffy.
- Use the same size portion scoop used above to place filling on one of the cakes and add a second cake on top to complete the sandwich.
- Repeat for all remaining cakes.
For fluffernutter, make filling as directed above and once light and fluffy, add 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter. Mix until combined and then fill as directed.
For the mint filling to make a grasshopper devil dog, substitute 2 teaspoons of pure peppermint extract for the vanilla extract and 2-3 drops of green food coloring. Mix until combined and fill as directed.