My son and I love cannolis, so we took our favorite Italian pastry and melded it with a breakfast classic to come up with this delicious combination of Cannoli Stuffed French Toast. It made a delicious Sunday brunch meal and it was enjoyed by all. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did
- 4 eggs
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk, I used almond milk
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (46 g) all purpose flour
- Loaf of French bread, I used one that was about 3″ in diameter and about 2ft long
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup (1 to 2 oz) powdered sugar, depending on sweetness preference, plus more for dusting on top
- 4 tbsp (60g) mini chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- In a blender, mix eggs, milk, vanilla and flour until well combined, and pour into a shallow dish (I use a pie plate). Meanwhile, heat and grease griddle to 350°F or pan over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl combine ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and mini chocolate chips and whisk until combined.
- Slice loaf of bread into slices (I preferred thinner sliced, 1/2″-3/4″ but can be thicker if preferred). Spoon 1-2 tbsp of ricotta mixture on a slice of bread and top with another slice, pressing pieces together without squeezing mixture out the sides.
- Once bread pieces are sandwiched with filling, dip them into the custard mix in the shallow dish, flipping the bread to get each side coated.
- Place bread on griddle and cook the first side until golden brown. Using a spatula, flip to cook the second side until golden brown and remove from the griddle. Dust with powdered sugar and chocolate chips for serving.