These chocolate cupcakes have Bailey’s and Kahlua liquor in both the cupcakes and the cream cheese frosting and make a delicious pairing. They can be made into regular size cupcakes or mini cupcakes. I was able to get 4 dozen mini cupcakes with this recipe. The cupcake recipe was adapted from addapinch.com.
Yields about 48 mini-cupcakes
- 120g (1 cup) all-purpose flour, measured then sifted
- 200g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 65g (1/2 cup) dutch processed cocoa powder, measured then sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, I use Medaglia D’Oro
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 59ml (1/4 cup vegetable oil)
- 59ml (1/4 cup) Baileys Irish cream liqueur
- 59ml (1/4 cup) Kahlua coffee flavored liqueur
- 118ml (1/2 cup) boiling water
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 113g (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 226g (1 8oz block) of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 375g – 500g (12-16oz) of powdered sugar, measured then sifted
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) Baileys
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) Kahlua
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare mini-cupcake pan with liners.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the vegetable oil, egg, vanilla, Baileys and Kahlua.
- Pour wet mixture into mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add in the boiling water and mix. The mixture will be very wet.
- Using a tablespoon measure, pour the batter into the mini cupcake liners
- Bake on middle rack for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Cook on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add in the butter and cream cheese and beat until fluffy.
- Slowly add in 375g (12oz) powdered sugar, and mix on high until light and fluffy and combined.
- Turn mixer to low-medium and add in the vanilla, Baileys and Kahlua and beat until combined.
- If frosting is too loose, you can slowly add in remaining powdered sugar and mix to combine.
- Add to a piping bag with your favorite tip and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Frosting will set up when put in the refrigerator.